Bill,
I have seen this also and it is a general complaint of middle school
teachers.  I believe that yes, they are satisfied with minimal answers, but  I
also
think that their confidence in answering deeply is  very low.  They are
hesitant to really answer for fear of looking  dumb.  I think this stems from
little
deep discussion at home and lack  of practice in the earlier grades.  I have
had good results with at-risk  middle school students when we used guided
reading groups so they were not  speaking in front of the whole group, used
lots of
teacher modeling of how to  think, and praised and praised and praised their
efforts. I am always amazed at  how astute they really are and how much they
enjoy feeling smart.  They  just beam with pride when they make a fabulous
comment!
Marsha