From: Teresa Terry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Listserv
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 2:15:57 PM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Ellin, when comprehension strategies become the reason
for reading. . .

Lori,

  That is one book I do not own....yet.  Could you talk about the different
categories and the coding of conversations?

  For an action research project I did analyze the change over time in
teacher/student talk in regards to Dorn and Soffos' Text Talk which included
posing questions, clarifying, elaborating, supporting thinking with evidence,
etc... I also looked at each chain of talk and classified it as literal,
inferencial, and evaluative to determine if thinking deepened with the use of
text talk/students' own language which produced the same behaviors.  After each
literature discussion we go over over Conversational Moves chart