I thought guided reading was a student's instructional level--that would be
a little ahead of their independent level.
Laura

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:30 AM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: [MOSAIC] Guided Reading

I have never been trained in Guided Reading and having been reading up on
it.  My question is this-Do the students need to be reading a text that
they
can read independently?  I teach third grade and am "required" to use  the
leveled readers that come with out basal series.  Only problem is that  for
about
half my class the lowest level leveled reader is too difficult.   I have one

child who is capable of reading 44 kindergarten sight words and that  is
about
it!

Rosie