Rosie

The point of guided reading is to provide support to children with text that is
just slightly beyond their ability to read
independently, yet at a level which will allow them the opportunity to be
successuful with guidance as they acquire new skills
and strategies to generalize to their independent reading.  This often means
letting go of grade level expectations, teaching
to the needs of students who may be below (or above) those expectations.
Lori

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 09:29:39 EST , [EMAIL PROTECTED] sent:

>I have never been trained in Guided Reading and having been reading up on
>it.  My question is this-Do the students need to be reading a text that  they
>can read independently?  I teach third grade and am "required" to use  the
>leveled readers that come with out basal series.  Only problem is that  for
>about
>half my class the lowest level leveled reader is too difficult.   I have one
>child who is capable of reading 44 kindergarten sight words and that  is about
>it!
>
>Rosie
mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.