I  know that many of you have discussed Words Their Way by Bear, et al.
  Our district is using this and I use it weekly with different groups
of students.  I brought this book to a Literacy Coach Network meeting
here in Grand Rapids, MI.  What was alarming that many people were
unaware of the wonderful supplemental books that Words Their Way put
out to help in the making and using of sorts.  There is one book per
each developmental spelling level.  The assessment itself is found in
the original Words Their Way book, but these supplemental books have
saved me HOURS of time.  I bought all of them at Amazon.  You can't
really buy just one or 2 because your students in the classroom are
often as several different developmental levels.  I teach gr. 1 and 2.
However, since the original book has some activities as well as  a CD
Rom and word lists  with blank sort sheets, you could buy a couple
books that target the levels that most of your students might be
operating.  For ex. in 2nd grade, I primarily use the within word and
syllables/affixes.  I have a pretty high group.  I'd also consider the
letter name one for 1st and  low 2nds.

I do a training  in WTW (Words Their Way) here in Grand Rapids and love
the philosophy.  If anyone has questions, feel free to email me offline
(or on I guess).

There are 5 supplemental books, in order of difficulty are:
Words Their Way: Letter and Picture Sorts for Emergent Speller
Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Letter Name Alphabetic Spellers
Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Within Word Pattern Spellers
Words Their Way:  Word Sorts for Syllables and Affixes Spellers
Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Derivational Relations Spellers

Kim