Recently our new middle school schedule was unveiled for next year and it is
cutting ELA time in the whole school but especially in our 6th grade.
Currently our 6th graders have two periods of ELA so that we can adequately
cover
both reading and writing. Next year we will have one period a day, 39 minutes
in length and each class will get an additional 39 minutes once every 6 days.
 All of us who teach ELA are shocked by this. This is being done mainly so
that the students can take a foreign language every day versus every other like
we currently have.

I teach in NY in a district in Westchester County where education is valued
by most parents. Any suggestions how to get the word out to parents and get
them to complain about this. This is so unfair to the students. I'm not sure
how
the teachers who will be teaching this are going to be able to cover both
reading and writing in this short time amount.

Pat - NY - grade 6