Hi,

Reading Power is a wonderful book.  It was written by a teacher in the
Vancouver, British Columbia school district and it really helps to make
the strategies more concrete for the kids.  Adrienne Greer came to speak
at our Primary Teachers meeting a few months ago, and she's coming back
in March.  She is a wonderful speaker!  Her book has a great list of
books for teaching each strategy and gives you lots of insight into how
introduce each strategy, how to do the think alouds, and how to get the
kids to practice using the strategy on their own.  She has also created
her own set of posters which I bought at the workshop.  It is a head and
shoulders drawing of a boy or a girl, and then she has puzzle pieces
which fit inside the brain of the child - labeled with each of these
strategies.  This poster shows the kids that they should have a "busy
brain" while they are reading.  I introduced the poster and the various
strategies, and the kids started getting it right away, without much
more than the introduction.  We are now talking about our read alouds
and other reading like never before, which so much more depth and
meaning.  It's really exciting.  I definitely recommend this book -
inexpensive, easy to read, and fun to use with the kids!

Tammy
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada