OK, I'll check in.  I've just started book clubs in my 3rd grade class, after
spending the first part of the year doing more targeted guided reading in small
gruops along with large gruop and conferences. And I'm SO tickled that it's
working well!  Last year was the first year I started book clubs, and it worked
very well, but then again I had a very creative, talkative group that got along
well together. This group has tended to stare quietly at me after I ask a
question, watching me patiently as the clock ticks away... It's taken lots of
concerted effort to get them comfortable talking about their thinking and to
think anywhere past the surface level.

This past Wednesday we were getting weather reports of ice and snow that night,
a rare occurance here in Georgia. The kids were all aflutter, excited about a
potential day off, when Kyle tells me in the hall on the way to buses, "I hope
we don't get snow tonight because my book club meets tomorrow and I don't want
to miss it."  Now isn't that a sound for a teacher's sore ears?

Heather Wall/ 3rd grade/ Georgia
NBCT 2005
Literacy: Reading - Language Arts