Hi,
I'm a "nontraditional" teacher in my 5th year teaching 4th grade. Have read "Mosaic", "reading with meaning" and parts of Fountas & Pinell for 3-6. Went to an inspiring in-service with Ellin Keene @ a week ago. Despite all that, I feel a bit overwhelmed and, consequently, at sea. Matching state & district requirements to what I've found in the research seems impossible. Am especially stumped by my district's requirements to do "Differentiated Instruction":( i.e. homogeneous grouping) for 30-60 min a day. This goes against everything I believe in: that we can all learn from each other. Meanwhile, ELA and Special Ed students are being mainstreamed with no back-up or extra personnel. Does anyone else feel overwhelmed? Sometimes, I fall back on a routine simply because I don't know what else to do. Thanks for letting me vent! I want to teach my students in teh best way possible, and some days I don't know what that is!
Chris/4/PA