Hey,
This is my second response, so if you have read the first, please
ignore.  As I didn't see my response appear on the list serve, I figured
I did something wrong and needed to send a second communication.
I am a middle school teacher in Kentucky and have been teaching for many
years.  This year, because of a program I am in, I have increased my
non-fiction material greatly.  DON'T STOP READING!!! I have found it to
be very motivating.  These novels are real materials, have graphics, and
are often not too long.  I have discovered several well written
non-fiction novels that appeal to the students.  They are all under 100
pages (around 40-50 exculding pictures, charts, etc.):
   Freedom Riders by Ann Bausum
   Team Moon by Catherine Thimmes
   Quest for the Tree Kangaroo by Sy Montgomery
   Freedom Riders  ?
   Escape!  The Story of the Great Houdini by Sid Fleischman (longer)
   Kids At Work by Russell Freedman (his work is generally very strong)
   Hiltler's Youth by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
Certainly there are many, many more.  Non-fiction has recently been
recognized as a genre that can motivate greatly.  One key is teaching
the strategies to read this type of material.

I also conduct Literature Circles, and this has been a great motivator
in my class.  Harvey Daniel's book is a wealth of knowledge, and the
great part is you can begin immediately in your classroom.  I am a firm
believer in CHOICE and DISCUSSION.

You might also take a look at the graphics novels.  There is an
onslaught in this area.  They certainly target a definite population of
readers.  The visual action in this type of material is a positive for
many students.  The graphic novels written today certainly cover the
essential elements of literature.

Finally, current magazines also add another area to explore.  Getting
students to read often simply involves finding their interests.  I do
feel choice and discussion are the keys.  Hope this helps.

Susan R. Feix
Harrison County Middle School
[EMAIL PROTECTED]