Speaking of how things work and are made, a couple of current shows
that my husband and teenage son (14 yo) really enjoy are Dirty Jobs
and Mythbusters.

Joy is right about the fact that you are having an impact, even
though you're students might not be showing it to you.  I remember a
couple of years ago, I had a 3rd grader who just didn't seem to be
getting it.  Right about the time that I asked for help at about this
time of year, he did a complete 180 and started really stepping up to
the plate and showing he really was learning all the things that I
had been teaching.  He had been writing very little and not using any
of the mini-lessons I had taught, and then all of a sudden, he wrote
this two-page detective story in which he was the main character.  Of
course, you have the added challenge of 8th grade egos. But, I agree
with Joy--hang in there!

Eve

At 11:06 PM 3/10/2007, Joy wrote:
>. . . If you can't take them there, maybe you could rent one of
>those videos like Mr. Rogers used to show (Crayola factory was my
>all time favorite, but I can remember lots of other ones we saw when
>I was growing up, I think one the boys liked in high school was
>about how they make steel - lots of fiery cauldrons, etc!)
>
>. . . You are having an impact on them, even if they don't show it -
>remember it just isn't cool to show any enthusiasm when you're in 8th grade!
>                    Joy/NC/4

-*-*-*-
Eve Dubois
Classroom Teacher