In my classroom, with first and second grade students, I spent a lot ot time
modeling how to respond to the speaker.  My kids
had no problem with ideas, they had plenty to say, but they saw me as the
negotiater--as if everything had to go through me.
It took time, but they learned to talk to one another.  In many classrooms I
have been in and out of, the children have learned
to play the waiting game, just waiting to see how the teacher will step in and
say whatever it is that needs to be said.  And
wen they wait long enough, it happens and it seems to become a habit, this
letting go.  We deal with severe langage delays
(LEP) and not talking does not help. We are just beginning this conversation
about conversation.

Lori

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:50 , Jan Kammert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent: