I used Waiting for The Rain for several years as a connection to Africa.
Sandee

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ruth Devoll
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:03 PM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: [MOSAIC] novels & social studies

I have a friend that teaches sixth grade in Texas.
she writes to me that:

I try to connect novels that we read to our social studies unit.
I use several for WWII.  I use a couple for the study of the major
religions, which is the first 6 weeks.
I coud use some new  books for the religion study, as "Number the Stars"
and "The Devil's Arithematic"  can overlap into tthe WWII study.

Also, I could use  a novel for Africa.   Australia/NewZealand  is our
Oceania study and I could use something.

Any suggestions out there?????????
Thanks,

Ruth DeVoll
Title One