From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of CARL ZIEMINSKI [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 9:44 PM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] novels & social studies

I have just completed a holocaust text set for a grad class assignment.  If you
are interested in it, I can send it to you directly.
  'Becca

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Rose Blanche
by Roberto Innocenti, Christophe Gallaz (Editor), Roberto Innocenti
(Illustrator)
School Library Journal
Gr 5 Up During World War II, a young German schoolgirl, Rose Blanche, follows
the soldiers when they arrest a boy and discovers a concentration camp in the
woods. Thereafter , she takes food to the prisoners until the town is
liberated. Ironically, when she travels to the camp on that day she is shot by
the soldiers. The oppression of Fascism is shown through the powerful and
realistic paintings. In Innocenti's large, meticulously detailed paintings,
Rose Blanche is the only brightly colored individual, and her small figure is
set against the drab colors of overwhelming buildings and masses of soldiers
and townspeople. No skyline is shown until a radiant spring bursts forth at the
site of her death after the liberation. Although the story is simply told, it
will require interpretation as details such as the concentration camp are not
named nor explained, and the death of Rose Blanche is implied but not stated.
This is a difficult book to classify, as the text is easy enough
 for a y
oung child to read alone, and it has the appearance of a picture bookbut the
content of the text and illustrations is full of emotional impact and subtlety.

From: Ruth Devoll