In a message dated 5/22/2007 7:19:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Skip the  fluency and work on inference and questioning  techniques...

Hi all.  Just weighing in here.  Fluency is the "bridge" between  decoding
and comprehension.
When we free up brain space by developing fluency that is all the more  space
children can devote to the thinking we are asking them to do.  It can  not
and should not be skipped.  It also should not just be timed reading  without
attention to comprehension.  We need to include retelling in our  fluency work
to insure that the children make the connection back to  comprehension.

Laura
readinglady.com