I agree with Lori's statement below. And I would go further to say that
fluency should not be something one practices, but rather something one
becomes, and that becoming happens with more reading. Real reading. Not
reading while being timed for one minute. Not reading excerpts of
stories that have no beginning and no end. Not reading test questions.
But real reading of something that is interesting to the reader.

I've been teaching a pretty long time. It seems curious to me that in
the early 90s, nobody "practiced fluency" and nobody tested it either,
yet we managed to have children learn to read, talk about what they had
read, write book reports and essays about books they had read, etc.
etc.

Do some children need more intervention? Well, yes. That's always the
case. But I would argue that more reading for those children would
increase their fluency as well.

I am beginning to feel that the "old school" has become the
"revolutionary school" of thought.
My two cents.
Renee

On May 22, 2007, at 5:38 AM, ljackson wrote:

> I think if children do lots and lots of reading in meaningful and
> inspiring
> situations, that for most children, fluency will not be a serious
> issue.
> You become fluent in a language by speaking it.
>
> Lori
>

> On 5/22/07 5:18 AM, "Nancy Hagerty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I don't think that we can aford to "skip" the fluency practice.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 05/21/07 10:49 PM >>>
>>> Skip the fluency and work on inference and questioning techniques...

" What was once educationally significant, but difficult to measure,
has been replaced by what is insignificant and easy to measure. So now
we test how well we have taught what we do not value."
— Art Costa, emeritus professor, California State University