I think it is important to note that the wide reading group in the Kuhn
et al study actually did quite a bit of repeated reading, so I think the
name wide reading may be a bit misleading.

I think the concern that is raised in Elaine's post goes back to what I
have been concerned about for a long time -- fluency instruction, the
way it is now advocated by many experts, tends to focus on accuracy and
speed, not so much on meaning.

I view fluency as the gateway to comprehension, so I look for texts that
are have a strong sense of voice (to encourage prosodic reading) and are
meant to be performed for meaning (poetry, songs, scripts) in order for
the repeated reading to happen.  This is a more natural approach that
focuses the reader's attention on both issues of fluency and meaning.

My own work has found that such an approach does lead to gains in
comprehension beyond what might normally be expected.    In the singing
study I referenced a couple days ago, the gains we were most excited
about were gains in the comprehension assessment that were administered.

Timothy Rasinski, Ph.D.
Reading and Writing Center
404 White Hall
Kent State University