Buy a book on miscue analysis.  Most strugglers do not neglect phonics at all,
but rely overly or ineffectively on them. Once
you buy the book (Get Goodman, Watson and Burke), your expense is time. These
children have misidentified reading as a
process involved work saying--successfully, unsuccessfully, it doesn't
matter--and not meaning making.

Lori