Francie,
  Have you looked at Cunningham and Hall's Month by month Phonics for Upper
Grades? It is designed with struggling readers and students learning English in
mind.

  Also, there are some well-researched strategies for students to practice
spelling available online. http://www.resourceroom.net/readspell/index.asp is a
good source, as are any of the books by Richard Gentry.
http://www.jrichardgentry.com/ Tim Rasisinski has a version of one of the Four
Blocks activities that I prefer for older students. You can find it here:
http://www.readingonline.org/articles/art_index.asp?HREF=words/index.html

  Have you tried the books available at Reading A-Z? They aren't my favorite,
but their non-fiction leveled books are pretty good, and it's not real obvious
that they are reading "baby" books.

  I'd also get a copy of Tim Rasinski's book, The Fluent Reader. WOW! It's
chock full of great ideas for improving both fluency and comprehension.

                Joy/NC/4
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  How children learn is as important as what they learn: process and content go
hand in hand. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org