On Jul 3, 2007, at 8:22 AM, kimberlee hannan wrote:

> I tried something new last year.  I took samples of the writing and
> word
> work we did in class, blew them up and titled it "Here's how we learned
> it..." ~~~~snip~~~~
>
> Good teaching and A LITTLE constructive test strategy is enough.  But
> the
> good teaching is the key.

My master's thesis advisor and mentor used to say that if you did good
teaching, the test scores would follow. The challenge these days is to
stick with the good teaching when all around we are being bombarded
with test prep, test score data analysis, math computation at all
costs, elimination of the arts and recesses, and other trends that go
against what many people understand as good teaching of the whole
child.

When schools spend money on test prep workbooks but can't find money
for math manipulatives and books to read, the road is very bumpy.

Renee

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of
crisis, remain neutral." ~ Edmund Burke