Lori -- what you describe seems very sound to me -- repeated readings for an
authentic reason.  I know when I read poetry I can never a poem once and get
all that I would like from it.  As I read it and reread I begin to notice
things such as the poet' s use of rhyme, rhythm, repetition of words and
phrases, alliteration, figurative language.

  I often think of this  process of repeated readings and exposures to texts in
much the same way as coming to like a song.  Often when i hear a song the first
time it may not grab my fancy.  Yet, after hearing the same song on the radio
over the course of week, by Friday it often becomes my favorite song of all
time.   The repeated exposure leads to deeper levels of examination and
comrpehension.

Timothy Rasinski
404 White Hall
Kent State University