From: elaine garan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2007 10:10:37 PM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Repeated Readings for Fluency - Question for Tim

Beyond beginning reading, beyond first grade, there is a zero
correlation between fluency and comprehension. In fact, fluency (in
terms of a focus on wpm and even prosody) can actually interfere with
comprehension because the reader is thinking about that performance
aspect instead of meaning, especially if he or she is being timed. .