Our district has 45 elementary schools and 17 middle schools (at last
count).  Besides the control issue, I think our district adopts a curriculum
because we are wooed due to the size of our district.  However, our
standards are more and more becoming the focus of our teaching.  What used
to be a day by day pacing guide based on the textbook is now a map focusing
on the standards per quarter and a product demonstrating what that looks
like.  We still have a few that are uncomfortable with others not using the
"adopted" curriculum.  But it's focusing more on the standards and not so
much on the textbook.

I tend use the text for a mini-lesson once in a while, but mostly it sits on
the table or in the shelf.  Kids will pick it up on their own occasionally.
I have to remind folks sometimes that we teach children, not curriculum...

--
Kim
-------

Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, let go of what you can't
change, kiss slowly, play hard, forgive quickly, take chances, give
everything, have no regrets.. Life's too short to be anything but happy.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]