Wow!  Your post was really an eye opener.  When I was student teaching last
year, I was complaining to another teacher about my frustration with being
forced to follow one of those lock step programs, word per word.  That teacher
told me that he agreed that the programs were scripted, but that was how he
knew he was teaching his students what they needed to know.  If he was
following the program word for word, each and every kiddo was getting what they
were supposed to get.  However, it never felt like teaching to me and now I
know why!

  I can't tell you how much I appreciate this group.  I've learned a lot
listening in on your conversations.

  Here's wishing all those particating future student teachers - intelligent,
creative, strategy teaching mentor teachers, such as the ones found in this
group!

  Kim

Lisa Szyska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think you make some excellent points. Programs have
some very useful components, and when used
thoughtfully, can be wonderful resources. I would add
to this that new teachers also find that a series
offers them some sort of guide when EVERYTHING is so
new. Then it is up to mentors/team members to share
how they integrate best practices/comprehension
instruction. I have done this for some of our new
team members, and it has worked really well.

I do think it is as you said...when teachers are
mandated to lock-step, robot teach...do every
assessment, every story, every lesson, then the
program ceases to be a wonderful resource...it is an
albatross.

Lisa
2/3 IL