This makes me think about when I tried to read The Red Tent. It was so
confusing at the beginning that I put it down, thinking I'd go back to it
later. I think I'll try again this summer, writing things down to keep track.
Debbie

"Waingort Jimenez, Elisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I am reading Sirens in
Baghdad and there are quite a few characters at the
beginning of the book that I'm having trouble keeping track of especially
because I haven't been able to sit for a stretch of time to really get into the
book.  I'm reading bits and pieces here and there.  I hadn't thought of
writing down the characters and something about them to help me keep
track of who they are.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Simple but powerful,
especially when I find my reading is broken up by the demands of everyday
living.  I do think that when you slow down, for whatever reason and that
needs to be determined by the reader, you can get more in depth into a piece
of writing.  I like the way that each chapter in Mosaic allows us to hear the
author's thinking.  I find that very powerful.
Elisa Waingort
Calgary, Canada

An example that comes to  mind is a book with many characters.  I
sometimes have trouble keeping  them straight at the beginning of the book
until I
have  enough information about each character to form a mental picture.  I
have a tendency to write down names and a little something about them until
that  image is formed.
I have also found that as I have forced myself to slow down and  listen to my
inner voice, just the fact of slowing down helps me to think much  more
deeply about the themes, the lessons, the comparisons or contrasts to my  own
life,
my own hopes and dreams.  I tried to find a snippet that I  thought was in
The Art of Teaching Reading by Lucy Calkins, but I couldn't find  it.  It was
written by a very proficient elementary school girl saying  that she had never
really read before she started taking the time to slow down  and think.  She
named many books that she had read easily, but it was her  reflection that she
would like to go back and "really" read them.  I think  that's the gist.  Maybe
someone else knows what I'm talking about more than  I do!  Anyway, I have
found that slowing down at times, even for aesthetic  reading, has helped me a
great deal, and I think that giving all of my students,  even my great readers,
the idea and the permission to do that themselves, shows  them that it is
deep reflection that can give them the most pleasure.  Of  course, some books
are
just for fun with no deep thinking required!  Those  are fun to read at times
as well.
Sherry