In a message dated 7/15/2007 8:58:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Paying attention to your inner voice interrupts the flow of  your
reading but it also helps you comprehend better.
Elisa

If I am a proficient reader, reading aesthetically, why would I want to  slow
down?  I think we are so used to hearing about kids that struggle  with
reading, that we don't take into consideration the proficient  reader.  Many
of my kids are proficient aesthetically, but not  efferently.
Kim

I have been reading the 2nd edition of Strategies That Work, getting ready
for the conversation that begins tomorrow, and the book addresses not slowing
down for aesthetic reading unless you feel a need to slow down for  something.
 In that case, it's nice to have paper and  pencil nearby for writing and
thinking.  An example that comes to  mind is a book with many characters.  I
sometimes have trouble keeping  them straight at the beginning of the book
until I
have  enough information about each character to form a mental picture.  I
have a tendency to write down names and a little something about them until
that  image is formed.
I have also found that as I have forced myself to slow down and  listen to my
inner voice, just the fact of slowing down helps me to think much  more
deeply about the themes, the lessons, the comparisons or contrasts to my  own
life,
my own hopes and dreams.  I tried to find a snippet that I  thought was in
The Art of Teaching Reading by Lucy Calkins, but I couldn't find  it.  It was
written by a very proficient elementary school girl saying  that she had never
really read before she started taking the time to slow down  and think.  She
named many books that she had read easily, but it was her  reflection that she
would like to go back and "really" read them.  I think  that's the gist.  Maybe
someone else knows what I'm talking about more than  I do!  Anyway, I have
found that slowing down at times, even for aesthetic  reading, has helped me a
great deal, and I think that giving all of my students,  even my great readers,
the idea and the permission to do that themselves, shows  them that it is
deep reflection that can give them the most pleasure.  Of  course, some books
are
just for fun with no deep thinking required!  Those  are fun to read at times
as well.
Sherry