"Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org> on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at 7:12 AM -0500
wrote:
The QRI-4 manual gives the following ranges of oral reading rates of
students reading at their instructional level:
Level                                           Words Per Minute
Corrected Words Per Minute
Pre-primer(with pictures)                       23-59                   13-55
Pre-primer(without pictures)            22-64                   11-59
Primer                                          28-66                   10-52
First                                           37-77                   20-68
Second                                  43-89                   19-77
Third                                           51-97                   32-86
Fourth                                          55-105          27-87
Fifth                                           61-133                  30-114

Silent Reading rates:
Level                                   Words Per Minute
Fifth                                           73-175
Sixth                                           91-235
Upper Middle School
        Narrative                               119-233
        Expository                              105-189
High School                                     65-334

Kelly
Reading Coach/FL