> I'm not sure what will happen next year because we are going to have
 > to much more closely adhere to HM than we have in the past.

The thing that is so worrisome about this current movement for synthetic
phonics and direct instruction is that something has been added that is
different than has ever been before in these movements.  And that is
"fidelity."  Always before, teachers could bring in real books, bring in
other resources, modify programs, adjust/adapt core texts/basal
readers/whatever, pick and choose, individualize etcetera.  This "loophole"
for sanity is being removed with the concept of fidelity.  And there's the
component involving teachers' colleges.

This is a whole new ballgame and we've got to figure out how to step up to
bat, even though we still have to do the job we're charged with.