I think there is an excellent match between the CA standards and the state
tests.  In the released versions of the tests, as a matter of fact, they
correlate ever question to the standard.

----- Original Message -----
From: Julie Santello
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 2:14 PM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Students who don't learn to read

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up yet because I am behind in
reading posts, but does your state have a state specifications that
are released?  I read an interesting article in The American Educator
that points out that most states benchmarks are not correlated to the
test specifications that they give the test makers.  I have looked at
ours (FL) when I was teaching intermediate and they are VERY eye
opening.  Were our benchmark may read something like "Students will
learn how affixes work", the state specifications may say "In 3rd
grade students will be able to use the prefixes un, re, and pre..."
I highly recommend checking into this, because if I remember
correctly that only about 3% of states correlate their benchmarks and
test specifications.
Julie