Jennifer,

I agree with you that we must bridge the gap for these kids who come to us
already a year or so behind.  But my total frustration with what is going  on
today is that the attitude seems to be that we can TEST them into being
smarter.  No money, programs, resources are being applied, at least in my
district,
to help me to help them. Oh yeah, the sped teacher  or some  "least qualified
person" i.e.. aide, gives them a small  burst a few minutes a day.  But in
truth, these poor kids miss much of what  I am teaching during the day and get
only a fraction of the day at a level  appropriate for them.

   Don't talk to me about  differentiating my  curriculum .  I do as much of
that as I can, but I'm talking about  situations with 25 other kids of varying
needs and no aides or assistants for  all or most of the day.
 Yes, I can teach them in guided groups at their level, but I feel  like I am
only giving them appropriate instruction for part of the day and  these are
the kids who need me the most and they get me for 30  minutes.
Yes, I tried setting up center work for them, but I am already at school
till 5 or 6 at night and am starting to feel like nobody else (meaning the
administration ) cares about these kids in the cracks and my energy is wearing
thin.
No, they don't get any help from the reading teacher cause that's "double
dipping"
So, they get a program developed by a sped teacher but delivered  by  a Para
with barely a high school degree and no training in  teaching reading or
understanding of miscues etc. or ability or training to  deal with behavior
issues.
And that's okay because that's how we write the  IEP's now.  Anybody they
list can deliver the instruction.
 As for me,  I differentiate writing, spelling, math etc. and  give them far
more of my time than I give my "grade level" weaker students. Yet,  I know I'm
not giving them anywhere near enough to help them close the  gap.

 Are we cheating these kids.   You bet.  In truth,  they will fall further
and further behind, because we simply don't  provide the resources and help
these kids truly need.  We are being too  politically correct in keeping them
"included" and spending valuable teaching  time, teaching them to pass a test
"on
grade level".

 I'm just so tired of platitudes and wishful thinking . Woe that  it was as
easy as your story and we could just think they  were  smarter and that'd make
it so.  But its time to face  reality. How can we fix the problem if we aren't
willing to admit its  broken. These children have special needs.  They need
material presented  differently, more frequently, at a slower pace, etc. etc.
etc.  Instead what I see in my 20 some odd years, is that more and  more of
the responsibility is being passed to the classroom teacher.   Somehow, we are
to miraculously help them to close the gap, while balancing 25  other kids need
at the same time.

In truth, the kids who need the most, get the  least. The least appropraiate
tasks, the least amount of time  on task, the least time with a qualified
instructor . That's  special ed in today's schools. And no amount of teaching
them
like  they are on grade level is going to help that.

Just my rant for the year....sorry.  Just got my class list for next  year.
I teach 2nd grade and I've got 4 kids  coming to me reading on  a level 4-  I
just needed to vent and thought some of you would understand  my frustration.