THANK YOU to everyone who has taken the time to respond. Slowly, I am
putting together the year. The book that really helped (even though she
writes that good teachers aren't slaves to other people's curricula) was
Teaching Reading in Middle School by Laura Robb. She lists the 7 skills good
readers have, with some overlap with the STW strategies, but not one to one.
I'm going to start the year with about 3 months of strategy work, do some
research in preparation for our nonfiction writing unit, and finish with
fiction techniques and elements. Phew!

One thing I am still confused about is guided reading. If we're working on
visualizing this week, do I observe which kids aren't visualizing well and
work with them that week? Or do you have a separate guided reading
curriculum, whatever that means?

I still need help, so feel free to share more!
~Maggie
5th/TX

--
Maggie Dillier

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and
don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the
endless immensity of the sea." (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)