Maggie-

I would recommend that you spend time selecting texts appropriately for guided
reading groups. Too often teachers just quickly pick something because it's the
"right level" but it isn't really a great book for teaching specific strategies
to a group of kids, or it's not interesting to the kids. You need to know your
kids and you need to know the books well in order to make the  most out of
guided reading group times. I decide on my lessons pretty much on a weekly
basis, but I constantly adjust my plans according to the needs of the students.
In addition, the kids groups are constantly changing which always keeps me on
my toes.

As for getting to see everyone, MAKE A SCHEDULE! That's the only way to do it
and to guarantee that you are not short-changing anyone. At my school we see
our lower level students 4 to 5 days a week and we see our grade level and
above grade level students 2-3 times a week. It is also okay to meet with your
high level kids, discuss with them what you want them to do, send them off to
read and then meet up again for a brief review/discussion afterwards. It will
cut down on time and you can see two lower level groups during that time. I
imagine in fifth grade you can do this a lot with them. When the kids are just
beginning to read you want to monitor them very closely and keep them at the
table for the entire lesson. My principal says, "Fair is not always equal."
Some groups of kids are going to need more time with you. That's fine.

Kristin

Questions for Kristin and everyone - so you don't really plan much in
advance for guided reading; it's completely based on what you observe in the
students? Do you pick out texts beforehand, or do you decide week to week?
Finally, how do you make sure you meet with everyone enough? I teach gifted
kids, and some of them are very strong readers, so I can see them getting
somewhat neglected. Is it essential to meet equally with every kid?