> Is it more effective for ESL students to learn to read first and focus
> less on comprehension, or should ESL students focus more on
> comprehension and less on accuracy?
I can tell you what the research says and what my own experience
confirms. The huge federal research study and other big studies show
that if you focus on accuracy, ESL kids will learn to pronounce the
words and even to read with expression. In terms of reading
performance, they will score reasonably comparably with their English
first peers. The problem comes when they hit third and fourth grades.
Then when they need to comprehend, they already are ingrained with the
belief that reading is about saying words and it's extremely difficult
and often impossible to flip a switch and change their approach.

The federal study on Minority Children and YOuth as well as the Rand
report all state that comprehension should be taught right along with
skills. This includes allowing kids opportunities to construct language
through literature conversations and interactions as well as read
alouds. There are a variety of methods that combine comprehension and
and skills instruction and lots and lots of involvement with the text.
The studies also show that bilingual education is better than teaching
kids in a language they don't understand so that they are not thinking
and engaged but rather are parroting surface skills.

I have a big section in my new book on this that has quotes from the
federal research and describes the methods that work. I have long
thought that part of the problem is that too often teachers only see
the kids in the grades they teach. If we focus on and test for skills,
and if we have kids who can "read" and sound good, and perform on those
skills test-wise, then there is an illusion of success. We are often
not aware of what happens when kids get out of a class and start moving
up to more complex material and the rules change. That actually is the
explanation for the big drops in ESL's in the federal studies. It's
also known as the fourth grade slump and the phenomenon is repeated
across many, many studies. Anyway, it's something to think about. Elaine