Hi Robin,
What you describe below sounds like a "pampered child".  I strongly recommend a
book
by the same name that has put into perspective a lot of "off the wall"
behaviors I have been
seeing this past school year.  Sorry, can't remember the author but I'm sure a
quick google
search will give you this information.
Elisa Waingort
Calgary, Canada

One year I had a child who I considered very immature. Here are the things I
noticed: he sucked his thumb when stressed, he cried frequently, his comments
during class discussions were often off-topic and tended to be much more
"me-centered" than was typical at that time of year for second graders, he
could not play well with other children, especially in competitive games
because if he was losing he would have a tantrum and quit or throw his pieces
or cry (or all of the above), his handwriting looked like a kindergartner's
writing (very poor fine-motor control), his attention span was very limited
(more like a typical 4-5 year old), and he was much more literal in his
thinking than the other children.

Was this typical "boy behavior"? I don't think so. The other boys in the class
did not behave like this, my experience with my own son and his friends did not
match this child's behavior, and it was obvious he was struggling to meet the
expectations of a second grade classroom in a way that even the "wiggly boys"
did not.

Just my experience,
Robin