Something else I try with my kids is to see if they can identify that their
letter is written backwards.  I do this by pointing to the correct letter
on an alphabet chart on their desk or by writing the letter myself on a
piece of paper.  If they can tell the difference and/or fix it then I don't
worry about it any further and know that it will correct itself later on.
To be quite honest, because I know it's age appropriate, I primarily
give this prompt when a parent is concerned about this and then usually
with the parent present so they can see that it's OK.  Sometimes, I just
suggest that they try this at home with their child.
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

Reversals are considered age appropriate until 9. Don't worry too much.  I
generally just used a cue like, "Something's walking backwards..."
Lori

> Hello Everyone
>

> I was hoping for some input in the area of dyslexia. While I now that it is
> not my job as a teacher to diagnose students, I have noticed children that
> read d's as b's and q's as p's.  I would never come right out and claim that
> these students are in fact dyslexic, but I would like to help them in anyway
> that I can. How does dyslexia affect Comprehension? What strategies work best
> in helping students that may suffer from this condition? I am looking for
> activities that would be useful at the early elementary level.
>

> Kathleen Ernewein
>
> WSU Student

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor