Gina,
  My students are in the middle of using textmapping to create a script, so
they have an authentic reason to use it. That might be a factor in their
motivation.

  First they meet as a group and read the text. Then they create their scrolls.
Next they agree on what color to associate with which character. Then they go
through and highlight each character's actions and dialog, one by one. They go
through and highlight props they might need, changes in setting, events and
actions, etc. Each time they highlight a feature, they reread the text to find
it. So they will reread the text as many times as there are characters, plot
changes, character introductions, etc.

  They walk the text to see what they notice, for example, I had one group
notice a pattern in the appearance of characters, amount of dialog done by each
character, and number of scene changes they will need. Another group noticed
that the ending was inferred, and they had to add action to their script to
make the end understood.

  Right now they are in the midst of lifting text from the original and
dropping it into their script. (Of course, they will give credit to the
original author/publisher).

  Does this make sense? It is tedious and time consuming, but the first time is
the worst, mostly because they aren't quite sure what I'm shooting for. They
get more efficient as they do this.

gina nunley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  To everyone who is using text mapping. I am feeling like a real idiot. I
have looked on the site, and understand the process BUT I do not get exactly
what you are doing with it. Is it as simple as doing a kind of SQ3R with
text features? Coding the text with reading strategies?

Joy you talked about using it with fiction to reread. Can you give me an
idea of the process?

I have tried it once and the kids found it tedious and not really worth the
invested time. I am certain I have been missing something in my approach.
Thanks, Gina

                Joy/NC/4
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  How children learn is as important as what they learn: process and content go
hand in hand. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org