Heather,
I sent this message before I finished, so here it goes again. This is
very close to the way I run my lit circles in second grade.  I added
the artful artist/time tracker(settinng) after they learn the first
four positions. But last year when I asked for help with my second
graders you suggested using RT.  So while I continued with my lit
circles, I also added in RT.  Well, yesterday I went to school and my
gifted coordinator told me my test scores were high.  When I tested the
children in Sept. last year.  I was really worried and turned to the
group for help.  Even though first grade teacher's thought these
students  were gifted  (based on oral participation and decoding
skills) when I started I knew that comprehension was lacking.  I
started off testing oral comprehension and the class average was very
low.  Reading comprehension was even lower.

So I just want to say thank you. I really believe your suggestion of
using RT and your directions helped these students to achieve higher
reading scores. But what is more important it helped them to read with
understanding.

Pat K

"to be nobody but yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night
and day, to make you like everybody else -- means to fight the hardest
battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting."

e.e. cummings