Denis wrote:
I'm interested in attending the Lucy Calkins Institute at Columbia
Teachers College.

I attended the Reading Institute two weeks ago and the Writing
Institute 5 years.  I thought they were both fantastic?  soundly
grounded in research about how best to teach kids how to read and
write and full of practice applications.  You spend part of the day in
alrge group and the other part in small group trying out some of what
you learned in the large group.  I was in the grade 3-5 group led by
Kathleen Toland, co-director of the TC Reading and Writing Institute.
She is knowledgeable, passionate, down-to-earth, and funny.  I loved
ever minute of this institute and they hand out great materials -
about writnig curriculum, mini-lessons, etc.  GO IF YOU CAN!!
-Meg