Hi everyone!
I hope you all are having a great start to the year.

I thought I might share what is new in my corner of Maryland in
comprehension strategies. Some of you might remember that I have had some
interest in
teaching comprehension at the early childhood level.

I read Tanny's book over the summer and was so impressed with her work and
the possibilities it held for young and also learning disabled learners, that I
 shared it with two colleagues...one in Kindergarten and another in first
grade.We started by taking Tannys' ideas and combining them with some of the
things we have already been trying with RWM, STW and Starting With
Comprehension. We are planning six week strategy units with these ideas and are
 starting
now with Monitoring Comprehension.

 We have also been looking into Japanese Lesson study as a means for
professional development and decided we could use this format to learn more
about
teaching comprehension strategies to the youngest of learners. So here is  what
we are doing. We are doing an initial lesson to introduce each strategy and
are planning to use the lesson study format as we plan.  My first grade
colleague will be teaching our first lesson on Friday and my K colleague and I
will
go into her classroom to observe. Afterwards, we will debrief and replan  the
lesson based on what we observed the students do in reaction to the teaching
moves made. I will be teaching the lesson a week or so later to a grade 2
class  full of strugglers. My colleagues will come watch me and then we will
repeat the  process for my K colleague.  I know that each class is of a
different
age  group and that makes traditional lesson study a little problematic but I
AM  excited to have such an opportunity to collaborate. I plan to post the
final  version(s) of the lessons here so you all can benefit from what we have
learned...but I wouldn't mind hearing from any of you that have tried lesson
study with comprehension lessons. Anything I need to know to help smooth the
way???

What exciting plans do all of you have for comprehension lessons this year?
Please share and let's get the discussion going!
Jennifer