We have students who are placed on 504's without being tested.  Most often
it is in response to medical issues which may not be permanent in duration.
For example, there was high school student whose recovery from West Nile was
causing excessive fatigue and short term memory issues.  His prognosis was
for an eventual full recovery, but the process was very slow in coming and
his condition impacted his performance at school. He was placed on a 504
plan without testing.

Lori

On 9/12/07 9:09 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The mom said he had not been tested for spec ed.
> I have never had a student on a 504 who had been tested for spec ed.  Is there
> something in spec ed law that would indicate that a 504 student should have
> been tested for spec ed?
> Jan

> From: Beverlee Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>> If he's on a 504, he very likely has been tested for SPED.
>>
>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org> Date: Wed, 12 Sep
>>> 2007
>> 01:27:08 +0000> Subject: [MOSAIC] question about a student> > I have just
>> finished my first week of school. By that I mean to let you know that I don't
>> know my students well yet. I teach 8th grade, and by that I mean to let you
>> know
>> that I don't have the same students in my room most of the day.> > I have a
>> student with a 504 plan for ADHD. The plan does not say much. I talked to the
>> student's mom yesterday. The mom said that the student cannot write. He *can*
>> write, but not well, and he does not write much. He cannot copy from the
>> overhead. He cannot read a page in a text and write about what he read.> > I
>> want to use sticky notes and reading response for fiction and nonfiction, but
>> according to what the mom told me yesterday, her son cannot do that. Students
>> in
>> 8th grade also have to write a major research paper, but I don't think this
>> student can take notes from sources to put together to write a paper.> > The
>> mom
>> told me that over the summer she paid thousands of dollars to have her son
>> tested by a private agency. (I do not know why the school did not test him
>> for
>> special ed.) She does not have the results of the tests yet.> > In the
>> meantime,
>> I need some ideas about what to do. I have already arranged to meet with the
>> student one day a week after school to talk about what he understands, but
>> one
>> day will not be enough to help him with everything. I cannot work with this
>> student every day -- I don't have the time.> > Suggestions? Thoughts?
>> Comments?>
>> Thanks!> Jan> >

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor