This thread on ADHD and 504 plans has been interesting. It seems that ADHD is handled differently throughout the country. My school district does not place children who are diagnosed with ADHD on a 504. These children usually qualify for sped services as health impaired. Then it is determined how much of their instructional day is spent in sped classes or regular education classes. It usually is decided by how well they have their condition under control. In my district ADHD must be medically diagnosed by a physician. The doctor will collect data from as many sources as possible: teacher, parent, sports coaches and sometimes even the student. I also believe a diagnosis can also be determined by a cat scan.

Mary /sped/8/IL

<All this is very interesting to me because I've never seen a child on a 504 because of ADHD. I guess I really do live in "the outback." Bev>