. With that in mind,
> what are some of the best "research-based, highly successful" strategies
> that work with fluency? Just want to pick your brain. Amy

Well, I think showing a connection between spoken language and reading in
your head helps.  When the kids realize that the typical speaker speaks
about 150-200 words a minute, then they should be able to hear the voice in
their head reading at close to that speed (which remarkably is the speed
typical for later elementary and middle grades).  Too many teachers want
them to slow down for phonetic reading, when for comprehension reading they
need to read faster.  I've had many teachers tell me that repeated reading
for fluency is a waste of time, but when I explain to them WHY fluency
works, they seem to understand.

Also, get away from the monotone
"I......willl......not......eat......green......eggs......"  Tell them to
pretend they are the characters, play with the words,  read them joyfully
and with fun.  I find even with my middle school students that when they
read with meaning, their fluency speeds go up...

Bill