Not to defend Bill Gates--don't know the man, but I have been on occasion
misquoted in newspapers--once I was quoted as saying that teaching parents to
take away TV will help parents fix the discipline problems of their parolee
children (argh!) A completely out of context connection made by a
less-than-stellar reporter...since Parade is not exactly the height of
journalism we should tread a little lightly...gave a little room just in case
he didn't actually say THAT exactly--although maybe he did.

I have met and spoken with a person who was once the lead education reporter
for the LA Times and he spoke about the lack of reporters who know enough about
education to speak about it in an effective manner.  His goal was to try to get
teachers and principals to write more so the public can hear it from those who
know.  I keep dreaming about having the time...some of you on this list would
be so awesome at that...

:)Bonita