Yes, we have to have some type of assessment that shows kids can apply the
thinking they have learned to do to a comprehension task of sorts.

-----Original Message-----
From: gina nunley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 9:31 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] mastery strategies

athy and Elisa got me thinking.
athy said:
o we ever really master a comprehension strategy??? CathyK-5 DE

 said:
'd say no because strategies are dependent on the uniqueness of the text you
re comprehending.  BUT for the sake of argument..our district feels they need
o see that kids grasped and applied what we taught, so they want some kind of
ssessment and we have to decide some level of mastery.

lisa said:
 would think the common assessments would be about comprehending and not about
he strategies. In other words, students should show they are comprehending what
hey read not that they use a particular strategy to do so. Does this make
ense?> Elisa
 said:  Well the hope is that if they aren't comprehending we have some way of
eeing what kind of thinking they are not doing, so first we do an assessment of
hat they can do.  We hope by assessing each strategy we'll be better prepared
o have a plan on how to improve the comprehension.   It is a slippery slope.
ut I am in a district that is very much about being able to assess what we
each.  It has me spinning on a regular basis...and the forest and trees are a
lur.
ttp://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.