I think you need to investigate the model.  What I think you are referring
to as prescriptive is the roll-out of staff development, training schedules
and commitment of time and resources.
The literacy collaborative is not a scripted program of instruction but
researched literacy strategies.  The framework provides teachers with
a variety of tools to address the individual needs of each child.
It also requires a full time on site coach who is using the strategies in
the classroom, a very powerful model.
I trained in a model very similiar to this in California almost 12 years ago.
Now we are forced to make decisions that put the adopted curriculum
program implementation  at the center of our decisions and not the child.
We are in constant battle with what we teach overshadowing how to teach it.
The literacy collaborative will provide many instructional tools for you to
choose
from, and a coach to support your learning and implementation.
There is a great deal of power in creating
learning communities that use a similar language, collect data to inform
instruction
and have a variety of strategies to differentiate instruction.
It is difficult to be in a position of being told, the message is often lost in
the
delivery.  I would encourage you to
explore the website, investigate the partners who created the model, and talk to
the schools that are using it and get first hand information.
Good luck!
:)
Deb

>>> "Odland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/11/07 11:36 AM >>>
Help!  Help!!  To make a very heated and divided issue to the point I am
going to try summarize!  Three years ago our district brought the literacy
collaborative from ohio state to one of our elementary schools. That
building is the only fully funded chapter one school in our district so it
has lots of money compared to the other 5 elem. schools. The rest of us have
now been told that we are all going to be doing the literacy collaborative
from ohio state unless we come up with another program (on our own time)
that has a coaching model that is imbedded in the program.  If you are
involved in the literacy collaborative a teacher goes to ohio state and is
trained there.  We are of the understanding that the program is very
prescriptive and is more for failing schools. Our building was hoping to
send a teacher to get her/his degree in reading or hire a teacher/coach like
many of you out there!!!  We were told that that is not ok. the coach has to
be a part OF the program.  I hope I am making sense.  This is my first time
writing to our group.  Waiting to hear from you highly educated teachers and
mentors!

 deb odland