-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Odland
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 11:37 AM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: [MOSAIC] A new reading "program"

Help!  Help!!  To make a very heated and divided issue to the point I am
going to try summarize!  Three years ago our district brought the literacy
collaborative from ohio state to one of our elementary schools. That
building is the only fully funded chapter one school in our district so it
has lots of money compared to the other 5 elem. schools. The rest of us have
now been told that we are all going to be doing the literacy collaborative
from ohio state unless we come up with another program (on our own time)
that has a coaching model that is imbedded in the program.  If you are
involved in the literacy collaborative a teacher goes to ohio state and is
trained there.  We are of the understanding that the program is very
prescriptive and is more for failing schools. Our building was hoping to
send a teacher to get her/his degree in reading or hire a teacher/coach like
many of you out there!!!  We were told that that is not ok. the coach has to
be a part OF the program.  I hope I am making sense.  This is my first time
writing to our group.  Waiting to hear from you highly educated teachers and
mentors!

 deb odland