Hello Nancy,
I have to say I think this is so true. I taught elementary for 25 years and we
spent so much time retelling what we just read. Now that I am in sixth grade, I
am teaching my students what a good one paragraph summary looks like because
they are expected to write a summary with the DRA2 assessment. I kept thinking,
if I wanted my students to move forward, I would have to show them what a good
summary paragraph looks like. I spent all of Sep and October with summary
writing and assessing with a summary rubric originally created by our sixth
grade teachers and revised by my students so it is kid friendly. I can't
believe how powerful the rubric is to them because they revised it to be kid
friendly. I have to say, they like to see numbers though. (IE: 5 detailed
sentences, 1 topic sentence, 1 concluding sentence, 1 or more connections to
the text, 3 spelling/punctuation errors)
I like the numbers also. It seems to make the work quantifiable. Especially
when uploading to an online grading system. The rubric is based on a total of
16 points.
I would love to share it with you and get your feedback. Just email me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] if you would like a copy.
Michele Polselli NBCT '06
Literacy Coordinator & Grade 6 ELA/Humanities Teacher
Portsmouth School Dept.
Portsmouth, RI 02871
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
---- Nancy Wittner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

=============
mosaic@literacyworkshop.org writes:
>www.arliteracymodel.com
I just went to a workshop on the DRA2 by the author, Joetta Beaver. She
recommended that teachers spend some time at the beginning of the year
teaching retelling skills Before giving the DRA2. That way you have a
truer picture of the students' comprehension. Is it a lack of critical
thinking skills or simply lack of practice in retelling.

Thanks
Nancy
Reading Coach
Gene Witt Elementary