THIS IS NOT MY LESSON!

I READ THE ARCHIVES ALL DAY.  I could not find the source.  STAND UP AND BE
PROUD.  I will give you credit.  The mistakes are mine.  I found snippets
ALL OVER THE PLACE.   .     LOL

Pizza Lesson

The original idea is based on the book, Comprehension Connections, by Tanny
McGregor's chapter 2 which is about metacognition.  She writes about a
reading salad being a concrete example of metacognition.  It is wonderful.
For anyone who has not read her book yet or who has not tried this lesson,
please do!   I found a bunch of messages on the internet about the "Pizza
Lesson" and tried to figure out what people were writing about.  I could not
find the original source for the "Pizza Lesson" which I write about here.

1.      Give kids a tan poster board paper (representing the crust).

2.      Copy the text they will read on orange paper (representing sauce).

3.      Kids had to cut out the stanzas of the poetry and glue it on the
crust with glue sticks.  They represent their thinking on sticky notes
(representing cheese).  [Some teachers did not have the kids cut out the
stanzas instead the teacher only wrote the stanza on the sauce.]

4.      What did the learn?   We learned.[We need schema and thinking for
metacognition; reading needs thinking and text; thinking will make you
smarter; if you think while you read, you will understand it; you cannot
just use some of it like pictures you have to use all of it like pictures
and words you know all of it; never fake read; more thinking is better than
less thinking]  Written on red circles (representing pepperoni).

When modeling how to share thinking PINCH CARDS COULD HELP EPR:

A teacher suggested the EPR (Every Person Respond) strategy which allows for
and ensures that all students actually are engaged in thinking during your
lesson.  This time the PINCH CARD that had text written on one end and
thinking written on the other end.  KIDS "pinch" the card at the end that
they are indicating.

To prepare the PINCH CARD:

When I have seen this done, they are color coded so that the teacher can
easily SEE the choice the child made.  Imagine an index card that the
teacher has colored red on one half and left white on the bottom half.
Write TEXT in the red section.  Write THINKING on the white section.

Teacher models thinking for awhile.

Teacher stops and asks the children to share what is happening instead their
heads.  The children SHOW THEIR PINCH CARD indicating 'text' or 'thinking.'

Pizza Lesson in Action:

One teacher wrote that after she modeled with the salad example from Tanny's
book Comprehension Connections, she printed a poem on red paper (sauce).
She handed out sticky notes (cheese). She gave out tan circles (Pizza
crust).  The directions were, "Read the poem, cut out a stanza and indicate
what you thought about that stanza."  The teacher then passed out red
circles (pepperoni).  The directions were, "Record what you learned about
real reading."