Stephanie,
Perhaps the students need more of a gradual release model. You model how to
respond in writing for them and give them a template (if necessary) and have
them practice using the template and then take the template away. That may
help you with their written responses. Perhaps if you team up a grade 1 and
a grade 2 student that may help as well.
Kelly AB