Michelle, thanks for that idea.  I absolutely love using picture books with my
kids but I hadn't thought about bringing them into this small lit group I'm
doing with "Scorpions".  The group reads an assigned part of the text on their
own, then we gather to discuss it.  I could read the pic books either whole
group or just in a small group with them and we could work on making
text-to-text connections.  They've been making lots of text-to-self connections
already. If anyone knows of any pic books that deal with peer pressure, drugs,
poverty, absentee parents or loved ones in jail let me know.  I can actually
think of 2 I've heard of before but, of course, I can't remember their names.
Thanks again.  ~Kecia